Matau Primary School Canteen Project
The Matau Primary School Canteen and Bakery will provide much needed daily nourishment to our students. Due to the well-documented food shortage in Zimbabwe, one third of the children are malnourished. Studies have shown and experts agree that children who do not go to school hungry are more active and perform better in school. We would be honored for you to join us in support of this project!
The Matau Primary School Canteen and Bakery is expected to feed over 1700 students daily, and for many of these children, the canteen will provide their most significant meal of the day. Inside the Matau Canteen will be the Matau Sun Bakery, which is a commercial solar oven designed to bake large volumes of bread quickly.
Located in rural Zimbabwe, some students walk long as long as 5-7 miles to school with no breakfast. This tiring journey combined with poor nutrition greatly affects their academic performance. The fact is that children who experience hunger at school are more likely to drop out of school early and/or repeat grades.
TTI Foundation wants to see health and nutrition intervention delivered through our education system to boost student’s academic performance. Therefore, we ask you to partner with us as we implement a program to develop healthier students and improve educational outcomes.
CANTEEN PROJECT PROGRESS
Since June 2014, we have assembled:
- Zimbabwe-based volunteer team of experts in architecture, design, construction engineering, surveying and project management.
- During the course of construction, Rotary Club of Central Harare intends to activate its matching grant with the Rotary Club of Salinas, CA, to enable TTI to receive $64,000 in equipment to outfit the canteen.
The Matau Primary School Canteen will include:
A new kitchen, dining hall and lavatories.
Daily support for over 1,700 students and 47 teachers.
- Matau Sun Bakery, a commercial solar oven for baking large volumes of bread.
The canteen will also serve as a venue for community workshops in agriculture, nutrition, health, small business development, women’s empowerment, etc.
There is currently no other venue sufficient to accommodate the Matau community of 6,000 residents.
Our present fundraising goal is to raise US $350,000 to construct the building for the Matau Primary School Canteen. The projected estimation of the total cost of this new canteen construction and equipment-outfitting project is $465,000:
- $64,000 Kitchen Equipment—pledged (contingent on match)
- $21,000 Donations from Zimbabwe & USA Individuals (received)
- $30,000 Construction Bricks (committed)
- $350,000 is the approximate outstanding balance
With your help, we can reach our goal much faster!
All donations are tax deductible.
THE NEW MATAU PRIMARY SCHOOL CANTEEN
3-D design provided by our partner
Please consider one of these levels of support:
- LEGACY Support: $25,000-beyond
- PLATINUM Support: $10,000-$24,999
- GOLD Support: $5,000-$9,999
- SILVER Support: $2,000-$4,999
- BRONZE Support: $600-$1,999
Any donation amount is appreciated!
In exchange for any donation of the support levels above, your name will be included on a prominent wall on the canteen, as well as on our website list of funders.