With the vision to inspire diverse populations of children across the globe to dare to dream big, Dr. Tererai Trent has launched the “My Dream Can” Educational Program to promote literacy as well as social and emotional development in school children.
Geared for schools, organizations and communities, the program includes a copy of the book The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can along with a Dream Can for each student, and a lesson plan for teachers, mentors and those involved in uplifting the lives of children.
The “My Dream Can” Program brings to life the story of The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can, a true story authored by Dr. Tererai Trent, beautifully illustrated by Dr. Jan Spivey Gilchrist. The goal is for each child to explore the world with their imagination, and have the courage to work towards achieving their dreams no matter what life hardships they might face.
The lesson plan includes four modules that are designed and aligned to meet Common Core Standards in English Language Arts (ELA):
1. CULTURAL PRIDECultural pride is developed within a supportive environment that allows children to understand who they are in relation to the world they live.
2. SPIRIT OF RESILIENCEThe spirit of resilience is developed through an environment that allows children to cultivate resolute determination, cope with the realities of their adversities, and refuel energy for positive growth.
3. VISION AND HIGH EXPECTATIONSWhen adults have a positive vision and high expectations of children, it fosters an environment where children may be able to benefit greatly and co-envision a positive future.
4. UBUNTUUbuntu, known in Africa as the essence of humanity, means “I am because we are” and it is the belief that no one person can be successful if all others in the community are not successful. It thrives in an environment that creates a common bond among us all despite race, gender, class, or background.
- Targeted for students in K-7, the lesson plan, and related activities are also applicable to all grades even up to K-12 and can also be incorporated into any classroom settings.
- The program includes online access to additional resources: Power Point slides, teacher/facilitator/instructor’s notes, handouts, and classroom and take-home activities.
- The program has great potential to help inspire children to learn and achieve better grades despite overwhelming social and economic challenges. It will also contribute to enhanced emotional and social well being for each student.
- With a focus on young girls and boys in inner cities in the U.S. and internationally, the lesson plan was carefully crafted with a universal message that will resonate with children around the globe, from America to Africa.
- The “My Dream Can” program has had great success so far with two school districts in Texas, USA: Desoto and Dallas Independent School Districts. Click here to learn how Dr. Trent partnered with Dallas ISD to empower first, second and third graders girls to develop their goals!
- The Girl Who Buried her Dreams in a Can made it onto the CBC/NCSS Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People! (The Children’s Book Council and National Council for the Social Studies)
“Children who feel good about themselves and have high levels of self-confidence, tend to perform better in school, and so as they are being encouraged to read and being given a book to add to their home libraries, we are also helping girls understand that they are capable of any- and everything they can possibly dream of being. Reading not only has tremendous power when it comes to fueling the development of all aspects of language ability, its importance to the entirety of a human life.” Regina Rice – AASI Director
Dr. Trent believes every student deserves to learn deeply, and as educators, we can support whole systems to transform learning by supporting the emotional and physical needs of a child, inspiring them to want to learn, make a positive impact and grasp opportunities that will lead to their success.
Newly launched, the “My Dream Can” Educational Program is accessible to schools, organizations and communities for bulk purchase. You may also inquire about Dr. Tererai Trent’s availability to visit your school or organization for a Dream Release assembly event.
Each package includes: 1 Book and 1 Dream Can for each Student; and 1 Lesson Plan for each Teacher, Mentor or Guide.
Purchase your copy today. Click Here.