The “My Dream Can” Program brings to life the story of The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can, a true story authored by Dr. Tererai Trent, beautifully illustrated by Dr. Jan Spivey Gilchrist. The goal is for each child to explore the world with their imagination, and have the courage to work towards achieving their dreams no matter what life hardships they might face.
The lesson plan includes four modules that are designed and aligned to meet Common Core Standards in English Language Arts (ELA):
1. CULTURAL PRIDE
2. SPIRIT OF RESILIENCE
3. VISION AND HIGH EXPECTATIONS
- Targeted for students in K-7, the lesson plan, and related activities are also applicable to all grades even up to K-12 and can also be incorporated into any classroom settings.
- The program includes online access to additional resources: Power Point slides, teacher/facilitator/instructor’s notes, handouts, and classroom and take-home activities.
- The program has great potential to help inspire children to learn and achieve better grades despite overwhelming social and economic challenges. It will also contribute to enhanced emotional and social well being for each student.
- With a focus on young girls and boys in inner cities in the U.S. and internationally, the lesson plan was carefully crafted with a universal message that will resonate with children around the globe, from America to Africa.