As a woman who grew up in rural Africa who overcame great obstacles to achieving her own success, Dr. Tererai Trent’s story is a striking example that anything in life is possible. Her picture book, The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can (Viking Books for Young Readers), is based on her story of perseverance.
Drawing from the precious wisdom of her cultural roots, and the valuable lessons of achieving success in present day America, Tererai is poised between the ancient and modern – offering a beautifully unique perspective, privilege to a rare few.
Gifted with natural charisma and humor, Tererai gracefully communicates her universal message of empowerment to audiences all over the world. Speaking straight from the heart on key themes such as leadership, social change, overcoming obstacles and the importance of quality education and women’s empowerment, she holds the capacity to inspire, encourage, reassure and energize all who hear her speak.
Tererai crafts her messages so every presentation is original, and directly addresses the heart of the organization or theme of the event, as well as the audience which is present. She has successfully worked with corporate and social businesses, non-profits, academic institutions, and community and service organizations. Her phenomenal life experiences combined with her powerful delivery has received overwhelming accolades from her international clients, colleagues and fans, time and time again. Read on to learn more…
Top 5 Reasons to Book Dr. Tererai Trent for your event:
- Her message has inspired millions around the globe, including Oprah Winfrey who chose Dr. Trent her “All-Time Favorite Guest.”
- With authentic presence, humility and a great sense of humor, she inspires audiences with her compelling story of overcoming adversity, and teaches how to dream with a purpose.
- You want to hold a platform with one of today’s leading voices for quality education and women’s empowerment.
- Tererai offers a unique global perspective as a woman who grew up in impoverished rural Africa – now in high demand to speak around the globe as an award-winning scholar and humanitarian.
- You are seeking a speaker to highlight the cause of your organization with extraordinarily inspiring stories which touch people from all walks of life.
Following are some examples of Dr. Tererai Trent’s speaking topics:
- Achieving Dreams Against All Odds
- The Power of Great Hunger – How it Defines Us
- The Three Powers of Inspired Women’s Leadership: Passion, Mentorship & Giving Back
- Education is a Human Right: Turning Oppression into Opportunities
- Empowering Girls Through Education
- University Commencement Speeches
- Two-time guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Tererai was chosen by Oprah as her “All-Time Favorite Guest”, one among over 30,000 individuals spanning 25 years of the syndicated show.
- Tererai was interviewed on CNN, Newsweek Daily Beast, CNBC Africa and more…
- Gayle King chose a quote from Tererai as her favorite motto (O Magazine): “Run away from toxic people. Instead, surround yourself with others who are positive, who support you and want you to succeed.” – Tererai Trent
- Tererai was included in 2013 “O Power List” – honoring women who inspire others to follow and fulfill their purpose, as the truest version of themselves.
- Tererai’s story was featured in the New York Times Besteller, Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
KEYNOTE SPEAKING HIGHLIGHTS
- Transforming Journeys – Iowa Women’s Leadership Conference – Sioux City & Cedar Rapids IA (2015)
- Catalyst University – Kalamazoo MI (2015)
- EY Strategic Growth Forum – Palm Springs CA (2014)
- Chrysalis Foundation Annual Fundraiser – Des Moines IA (2014 & 2012)
- Girl Scouts National Convention, Salt Lake City UT (2014)
- United Way Women’s Leadership Council “Power of the Purse” Event, Hartford CT (2014)
- Inspiring Leadership Conference – ICC Birmingham, England (2014)
- Rotary Club – Harare, Zimbabwe (2014)
- AISEN Conference, Association of International School Educators – Lagos, Nigeria (2014)
- UN Global Compact Leaders Summit: Architects of a Better World – NYC, (2013)
– Opened the plenary session before Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary General
- “Challenging Impossible” event sponsored by Sabanci Foundation – Istanbul, Turkey (2013)
– Shared the platform with Princess Mabel van Oranje of Netherlands
- Idea Festival – Louisville KY (2013)
- Women in the World Summit – NYC (2013)
– Shared platform with Oprah and Hillary Clinton
- Stanford University – Palo Alto CA (2013)
- NAACP – MLK Jr. Day Celebration – Springfield MO (2012)
- Girls World Forum, Girls Scouts – Chicago IL (2012)
- United Way Community Leaders Conference – Nashville TN (2012)
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Int’l Women’s Conference – Puerto Rico (2012)
- United Way Anniversary – Panama (2011)
- Yale University – New Haven CT (2010)
- Heifer International 60th Anniversary – Little Rock AK (2006)
– Shared the platform with President Bill Clinton & Jeffrey Sachs
UNIVERSITY COMMENCEMENT SPEECHES
- Loyola University – Chicago IL (2014)
- Oklahoma State University – Stillwater OK (2014)
- Wilmington Friends School – Delaware (2013)
- Walden University – Minnesota (2013 & 2012)
- Dr. Trent authors the picture book The Girl Who Buried Her Dreams in a Can, illustrated by Jan Spivey Gilchrist (Release date: Oct 6,2015 on Viking Books, imprint of Penguin Random House)
- Dr. Trent has completed her personal memoir, likely to be released in 2016.
- Dr. Trent is working on various other children’s books and other publications, release dates to be announced.